At times, you may find that Norton won’t open after updating the product. This issue can crop up if the program files of the Norton security application gets corrupted. And, you are left with your Norton security software unresponsive.
Apart from corrupted program files, if the services associated with Norton does function properly, then there is a possibility for you to face this problem. Further, if the Windows Operating System is not up to date, then also you can encounter it.
Moreover, if some module of Norton Security does not load up properly during the start-up process, then also you can meet with this issue.
Norton Won’t Open: Fixes to Try
If Norton doesn’t open on your computer, you need to try the fixes provided below, one by one to fix this situation quickly.
Method 1: Restart the Computer
Restarting the system and then trying to open Norton fixed this issue. So, it’s worth a try.
- First, close all the applications that are open.
- After that, click the ‘Windows’ logo on the taskbar to open the ‘Start’ menu.
- Next, within that menu, go to the left and click the ‘Power’ button. As soon as you click on that button, a popup list will come up.
- From that list, locate and choose the ‘Restart’ option.
- Finally, the reboot process of the computer will begin and the computer will restart. Now, launch the Norton application and see if this issue persists or not.
Method 2: Restart the Norton Services
If the Norton services do not execute properly, then there is a chance for you to face this problem. Now, the best answer to resolve this issue is to restart all the Norton services. To do it in the correct way, follow the steps below.
- First, press the keys ‘Windows + R’ simultaneously. This action will open up a new dialog box having the title ‘Run’.
- In this dialog box, beside the label ‘Open’ type the text ‘services.msc’ within the empty space and then press the ‘OK’ button.
- As soon as you do that, a new window with the name ‘Services’ will come up. Inside this window, there will be a list full of all the services for every application installed within the computer.
- From that list, locate the ‘Norton’ services and double-click on it. Now, a dialog box having the name ‘Norton Security Properties (Local Computer)’ will come up.
- Within that dialog box, go to the ‘Startup type’ section and choose the ‘Automatic’ option from the drop-down list.
- Next, go to the ‘Service status:’ section and see if it displays ‘Started’ or not. If the service is running and the issue is present, click the ‘Stop’ button and ‘Start’ button respectively.
- At last, click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ buttons consecutively and check if this problem resolves or not.
Method 3: Uninstall the Norton Security Software
If the program files of the Norton Security application gets corrupted somehow, then you can face this problem. The correct way to resolve this issue is to uninstall the application from the computer. Follow the steps below, in order to do it.
- First, tap on the ‘Cortana’ logo to open the default search section of the Windows OS. Within this section type the text “control panel” and then press the ‘Enter’ button.
- Next, from the search output that comes up, locate and choose the ‘Control Panel’ option. This action will open up a new window having the name ‘Control Panel’.
- Inside this window, there will be a variety of settings for the computer that you can adjust according to your requirements. Now, out of all the settings present inside this window, choose ‘Programs’.
- Next, a new page will come up, in it, locate and choose the ‘Programs and Features’ option. This will open up another window, that consists of a list of all the applications installed within the computer.
- From that list, locate and select the ‘Norton Security’ application. After the selection, right-click on that software and then choose the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- A new Norton Security uninstaller window will open up, in it, follow the instructions that come up and accordingly hit the ‘Uninstall’ button to remove the application from the machine.
- Once the removal process of the application is complete, next, restart the computer to apply this change.
Method 4: Installation Process of the Norton Security
After the uninstallation process, if you want to install the Norton Security application once again, follow these steps.
- First, launch a web browser and then visit the official setup webpage of Norton.
- Once the webpage comes up, enter the credentials of the Norton credentials if you get a prompt.
- As soon as you do that, a ‘Get Started’ page for Norton will come up. Inside that page, choose the ‘Download Norton’ option.
- Next, a new page ‘Norton is ready to download’ will appear, in it, below the header ‘Install on this Device’, choose the ‘Agree & Download’ button.
- When you click on that button, the download process of the setup file of the Norton Security will begin. Once the download process is complete, next, double-click on the setup file, to open the ‘My Norton Downloader’ application.
- This application will download any necessary files for the Norton Security software and then a ‘User Account Control’ confirmation message will come up, in it, click the ‘Yes’ button.
- Now, a new interface will come up having the name ‘My Norton Installer’, in it, choose the ‘Install’ button.
- As soon as you click on that button, the installation of Norton Security will begin. This process can take several minutes to complete, so wait patiently.
- Finally, once the installation is over, the Norton Security application window will appear, in it, choose the ‘Skip Tour’ button and start using it.
Method 5: Update Windows
If the Windows 10 Operating System is not up to date, even then you can encounter this issue. The only way to rectify this problem is to update the Windows OS. Here are the steps that you can follow.
- First, press the keys ‘Windows + I’ together to launch a new window having the heading ‘Windows Settings’.
- Inside this window, there will be various settings specific to the Windows OS, that you can change at your will.
- Now, out of all those settings, choose the one that says ‘Update & Security’. As soon as you click on that setting, a new page will appear, in it, go to the left pane and choose the ‘Windows Update’ option.
- Next, move to the right of that page and click on the ‘Check for updates’ button. When you click on that button, the OS will start looking for update packages.
- If there is any update packages available, then those will be presented and downloaded on a list.
- Once the download process is over, next, below the list, click on the ‘Reboot now’ button.
- When the machine boots up, next, the installation process of all the downloaded update packages will start automatically.
- Lastly, once the installation of the updates is complete, attempt to open the Norton Security application and check if it opens or not.
We hope the fixes provided here work and after applying them the Norton security on your system starts functioning smoothly. You can mention in the comments if these fixes worked for you. You can also post your queries below.