While clicking on the McAfee antivirus application on your PC, you may notice that McAfee is not opening properly.
On getting this issue, you will not be able to use the McAfee antivirus application and the entire situation can be dangerous.
The causes behind it are numerous. However, one of the most common reasons is the corrupted or missing the installation file of McAfee antivirus.
It is an annoying problem but you will be able to fix it easily with the help of this article. This post will give you easy and effective solutions for the McAfee won’t open issue on the system.
Reasons for McAfee Won’t Open Issue
There can be a certain number of reasons for the occurrence of this problem. Some of the most common reasons are listed below:
- Corrupted or damaged McAfee files
- Malware or virus infection
- An outdated version of McAfee antivirus software
- Enable Windows Defender Firewall
- Install another security software
- Stop the McAfee antivirus service.
- An outdated Operating System
In the next segment, you will get all the effective solutions to overcome this kind of situation from the Windows 10 system.
Solutions for McAfee Won’t Open Issue on Windows 10 System
We have listed below some useful solutions in a step-by-step manner. So, follow and implement them to get rid of the McAfee won’t open issue quickly:
Solution 1 – Update the McAfee Antivirus Application
If you have not updated the McAfee antivirus application properly, then you will not be able to open it. So, you can update this software as soon as possible. To know more about it follow these steps:
- Double-click on the McAfee icon to launch the McAfee application.
- Click on the PC Security.
- Click on the Update McAfee App
- On the Update McAfee App section, click on the Check for Updates button to check if the update is available or not.
- If you find any updates, then click on the Update button.
- Wait for some time to finish the update process. Once the update process is complete, reboot your PC and then check if the issue is solved or not.
Solution 2 – Uninstall the McAfee Antivirus Software and Reinstall it Again
If the McAfee antivirus application is corrupted or damaged, then you can come across the McAfee won’t open issue on your computer. So, you can remove it and then reinstall it. The following steps will help you:
- Press the Start button and click on the Settings.
- From the Settings window, go to the Apps section and select the Apps & Features tab.
- On the Apps & Features window, find the McAfee antivirus application and select it. After that, click on the Uninstall option.
- After uninstalling this application, reinstall it from the official website of the McAfee.
- Go to the official website of the McAfee and search for the latest version of the McAfee antivirus application.
- After finding it, download it by clicking on the Download option and then install it correctly.
- Once the installation process is complete, restart your computer and then try to open it to check if it properly opens or not.
Solution 3 – Turn Off the Windows Defender Firewall
Sometimes, the Windows Defender Firewall can prevent the McAfee application from opening. So, you need to disable it by following these directions:
- Go to the Control Panel window and double-click on the Windows Firewall section.
- From the Windows Firewall window, click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on and off option on the left panel.
- On the right window, tick on the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (Not Recommended) option from both Private Network Settings and Public Network Settings sections.
- After that, click on the OK option to save the changes. Once you are done, reboot your Windows 10 PC.
Solution 4 – End the Background Process of McAfee Antivirus Software
If the background process of the McAfee antivirus software is running, then you cannot open it. So, you need to end the background process of the McAfee antivirus software. In order to solve this problem follow the undermentioned steps:
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc buttons together to launch the Task Manager window.
- On the Task Manager window, go to the Process tab and find the McAfee antivirus application.
- Select it. After that, click on the End Task option to end this process.
- After performing all these steps, restart the device and then try to open the McAfee antivirus application.
Solution 5 – Start the McAfee Antivirus Service
If the McAfee antivirus application is stopped working then you can face this issue on your computer. So, you need to start the service and fix this issue immediately. Below are certain steps that you can follow hereunder:
- Open the Run box, type sevices.msc and then press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- When you are in the Services window, locate the McAfee antivirus service and right-click on it.
- After that, choose the Start button to start the service.
- After restarting the service, check if the issue is solved or not.
Solution 6 – Disable Another Security Software
If you have installed another security software, then you may not be able to open the McAfee antivirus application. So, before opening it, you can simply turn it off. Go through these directions:
- Right-click on the Windows icon and choose the Settings.
- From the Settings window, double-click on the Apps section.
- Select the Apps & Features tab on the left panel.
- On the right window, scroll down the page and find another security software, select it. Then, click on the Uninstall button to start the removing process.
- After completing the uninstallation process, reboot the system and then try to open the McAfee antivirus application.
Solution 7 – Run the McAfee Antivirus Application as an Administrator
Another effective solution that can help you to get rid of the McAfee won’t open on the Windows 10 system is to run the McAfee Antivirus Application as an Administrator. Take a look at the steps given below:
- Right-click on the McAfee antivirus application and select the Properties option.
- From the McAfee antivirus Properties window, go to the Compatibility tab and mark on the Run this program in compatibility mode for and then choose the Operating System from the drop-down menu list.
- After that, tick on the box next to the Run this program as an administrator option.
- Once you are done with these steps, click on the Apply option followed by the OK option. After doing this, check if it opens or not.
Solution 8 – Update the Operating System
Due to the older version Operating System can cause this problem on Windows 10 device. So, you can update it. Follow the steps cited below:
- Go to the Settings window and double-click on the Update & Security section.
- Select the Update tab and click on the Check for Updates option.
- If the update is available, click on the Update button.
- After updating the system, the device will automatically restart and then check if the McAfee antivirus application opens correctly without any hassle.
We hope the above solutions should help you to fix McAfee won’t open issue on the Windows 10 system. You can leave a comment in the comments below on how these solutions were of use to you.