Windows Defender is one of the most prominent inbuilt antivirus tools which is quite efficient in protecting the system from any kind of malicious threat.
However, just like any other antivirus, Windows Defender has issues and as a result, errors are common with it as well. One such error which is confronted by a majority of users is Windows Defender error code 0x80073afc.
People are most likely to face this error while running the Windows Defender manually or while booting their system.
In this post, we will be discussing some easy and efficient techniques to resolve this error 0x80073afc easily. We will also be mentioning its causes in brief.
Causes behind Windows Defender Error Code 0x80073afc
Before moving into its solutions, let’s take a thorough look into some of the reasons why you may confront this error. The causes behind this error code can be numerous. So, to make things easier for you we have listed some of them below.
- Malicious software
- Faulty updates
- Group Policy
These were some of the probable causes behind this error. Read further to learn the easy fixes for this issue.
Effortless Ways to Get Rid of Windows Defender Error Code 0x80073afc on Windows 10
Now that you got a fair idea regarding the Windows Defender Error Code 0x80073afc, it’s time for the solutions. We have listed them below in a stepwise manner for better understanding.
Solution 1: Uninstall the Antivirus Software
First and foremost, make sure to uninstall any third-party antivirus software that you are using and see if that resolves the problem for you.
This is because Windows Defender does not work well with any other antivirus software on Windows 10.
Thus, disabling or uninstalling the antivirus software should be the first solution you should try. However, if you notice that the problem still persists then follow the next solution.
Solution 2: Make Use of System Restore
System Restore is another method that is popular among users and most of them claim that they were able to resolve this error by making use of it. Thus, to perform this fix, follow the steps provided below thoroughly.
- Firstly, press both Windows+S keys simultaneously and then type restore. Now choose the “Create a restore point” option.
- After doing so, the System Properties window will open. Once it does, click on the System Restore button.
- On a succesful launching of System Restore, click on Next.
- Choose the restore point and then click on Next again.
- Lastly, follow the instructions appearing on your screen to complete the restoration.
Solution 3: Run SFC Scan
If the problem persists even after following the solutions mentioned above, then it is recommended to run an SFC scan. To do so, follow the steps exactly as cited below.
- Firstly, Go to Start and then open Command Prompt. After that, type sfc/scannow and hit Enter.
- Wait for a few seconds so that the process completes successfully.
- Close the Command Prompt and then reboot your system.
Solution 4: Start the Security Service Again
For a proper functioning of Windows Defender, the security service should be running. Thus, it is advised for you to check whether the Security Service is running or not. If not, then it is better to start the security service again. To do so, follow the steps exactly as mentioned below.
- Press both Windows key and R key simultaneously to invoke the Run box. Then type “services.msc” and press Enter.
- Within the Services tab, look for Security Center and right-click on it. Finally, click on Restart.
So these were some of the easy fixes to get rid of this Windows Defender error code 0x80073afc easily. Please let us know your feedback in the comment section below.